Tuesday, April 08, 2008

You are with me


"Of course we're stressed, God created us to be naked gardeners, and now we have to save the world."
-Rick Mckinley: Rugged Spirituality

I just listened to this sermon... again. He discusses David's life and his work as a shepherd. Kind of lowly work. But he points out that in that time God was teaching David so much, working in him in order to make him into who he would be later on. And David utilized that time, writing psalms to God and meditiating on His word. The pastor read through Psalm 23, and how David was seeing God in his own work, how the Lord would be a shepherd. And the pastor suggested doing the same with our line of work, looking at how God would do it...

Psalm 23: a meditation of an outreach worker
The Lord is my outreach worker
I shall not want!
He makes me lie down in a safe, clean home of my own, perhaps the first time in years
He leads me smoothly and quickly through the maze of social services, advocating for me
He affirms me to my core
He leads me in making good decisions
For His name's sake

Even though I walk through dark, urine-coated, needle-strewn alleys,
I will fear no evil
for You are with me
Your food and blankets, they comfort me

(original)
You prepare a table before me
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

I have A LOT on my mind right now. Praying for discernment, wisdom, direction... all that fun decision-y stuff.
And i'm praying for you... you know who you are ;)
love, love, love!

2 comments:

Abby said...

Simply wonderful, dear. One of my favorite writing pastimes is to take an existing song and form it to my own details. I'd never thought to do this with a psalm but I'm sure it is to come.
Dear, we pray for you too. We lonely, heartbroken, lost and wounded find comfort in the fact that though we make be weak, we can always help others through prayer. Wisdom my dear, is already yours.

Ashlyn said...

wow. that was incredibly touching to read. i might have to find that sermon and also try that excercise. i am teaching poetry to my kids (my favroite unit) and so I am in a very poetic place right now. praying for you. :)