Friday, January 23, 2009

be ok



it is about 50 degrees today. and sunny. i joked with a client yesterday about taking advantage of the sunny day; "we only get three of these, you know." but the cold and the gray were starting to feel a bit oppressive, so it's nice to have a bit of relief, even if it's short lived. when it gets to this time of the year, my mind typically wanders to beaches and warm climates.


i was reading donald miller's post about his new puppy and his thoughts during being snowed in. his final thought is this,
"P.S. Before you leave this post thinking you should be more like Lucy, I should disclose Lucy often stares into blank space and barks as though she is looking at a ghost (I call it her Hamlet monologue, often saying back to her “is that a dagger you see before you?”) and she also eats her own poo. Purity comes at a price."
it reminded me of something a friend said a couple nights ago at house church. she was noticing that her dog seemed to sleep more and eat and eat and eat... including her poo... when she had had less excercise and attention. my friend just thought it was interesting, and so did i.

i did early outreach this morning for work... often i wish i had my camera with me while i'm out. this morning the scene that struck me was the roebling bridge set against a soft pink turned pale purpley-blue winter sky and a sliver of a crescent moon off to the side. it was really lovely.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

even if we can't see what you saw...you will always have that memory in your mind.


As for Lucy...I think dogs can see things we can't. My dogs often bark at corners and places where nothing is happening. In fact one time in New Richmond I was at the house all alone and the power went out. Well albert (the little yorkie) is scared always so I let him sleep in my room and he barked at my door the whole night and it scared me. So I ended up sleeping in my car in the garage with the other 4 dogs. Cheers.

Courtney Patch said...

love the new look! i had to come back to it to see who's blog i had clicked on; i was confused for a second. This is excellent. you have good thoughts. they help me:)