Thursday, April 27, 2006

can anybody out there hear our cries?

welp, i asked for it. i've been putting it off for months, maybe longer, because i knew it would be bad news when it happened. i just finished hotel rwanda. i've been afraid to watch it because, well, i'm already all worked up over sad things in distant lands, so i thought this would get me more worked up, and i was correct.

i can't believe these things happen in this world.

i can't believe there are millions of people in america alone who could seriously stop this. not just help. stop.

i can't believe i'm sitting on a big comfy bed right now, typing on my personal computer, while there are children i know personally sleeping on dirty cobblestone with no blankets, or children in africa carrying weapons as big as they are after being abducted from their homes and forced to fight, or children who have no family, whose parents have died just trying to feed their family. these are realities. and the contrast is too big for me to swallow right now.

when i was in rio, i would leave lapa at night, the place where my friends who lived on the streets stayed, wondering how i was allowed to walk away from that place, while my friends were left to sleep there, to deal with the police, to shiver when it was cold there. i would wonder while i layed in my bed how it was okay for me to be in a bed, when so many others didn't have a roof. this world is incredibly injust, and i know it. i've seen it, i hear about it on the news everyday, it's in movies, it's everywhere. the question is what am i gonna do about it? am i going to continue eating my dinner when i see mass genocide on the news?

the good news is that i can do something about it. there are so many things really. i may not be able to singlehandedly change the injustices of the world, but i can bring the love of a God who hates injustice to those dark and hurting places. and i long to do that.

i think my originial intent for my next post was to be more upbeat, positive, comical...
oh well.

1 comment:

Courtney Patch said...

your entries inspire me and keep me motivated; so glad we're friends. Love you!